Critical Repair Program
What is the Critical Services Program?
Rebuilding Together Silicon Valley offers a Critical Services Program which is funded in part by the City of San José, City of Cupertino, City of Milpitas, City of Gilroy, and the County of Santa Clara through the Housing and Community Development Act, CDBG program. Income-eligible owner-occupied properties (Single Family or Mobile Homes) are eligible for critical home repairs that, if not corrected, would make the home uninhabitable. This page may be updated at any time. This is the list of repairs currently eligible for this program:
- ROOFING – Critical roof repairs only – Reroofs are not covered under this grant program, and any roofs that have been deemed as “Beyond Repair” by a RTSV licensed contractor will be referred to the City of San Jose Home Repair Loan Program. A referral does not guarantee your acceptance into the city program.
- HEATING – Loss or absence of heat – Furnace systems that are inoperable or beyond repair may be eligible for repair or replacement. It is our goal to repair any existing furnace before it is considered for replacement. Units must have experienced failure due to long-term use, and any units that have been tampered or vandalized prior to inspection may be ineligible for the program.
- WATER HEATERS – No hot water – All water heaters that are inoperable or experiencing water leaks from a decayed tank are eligible for replacement. Issues to the water heater that result from faulty parts may be repaired only. It is our goal to repair any existing water heater that is less than 10 years old before it is considered for replacement. Units must have experienced failure due to long-term use, and any units that have been tampered or vandalized prior to inspection may be ineligible for the program.
- CRITICAL PLUMBING – No hot or cold water/ critical sewage issues – Critical plumbing repairs are evaluated on a case-by-case basis and typically are addressed through plumbing repairs only. Homes that require whole system updates (new water supply/new sewage lines) are beyond the scope of the program and homeowners are encouraged to contact the City of San José Housing Department for loan assistance directly at 408-975-4400. A one-time courtesy plumbing repair may be extended for homes that are in need of new whole house plumbing systems.
- CRITICAL ELECTRICAL – Power loss to life sustaining equipment / Other Critical Electrical – For homeowners who depend upon medical equipment and experience loss of power, or insufficient/unreliable power are eligible for assistance. Other electrical repairs may be considered on a case-by-case basis, and must present a threat to safe living conditions to be eligible.
If you are experiencing any of the problems above, please contact our office directly at 408-578-9519.